Monday, March 9, 2009

Night


What is Night about?

Night is a first hand account of a Jewish boy living during the Holocaust. This account weaves through the discovery, sorrow, and tortures of this dark period in time. This boy, Eliezer, is forced into concentration camp after concentration camp where he meets others suffering his fate. Where is God? Where is his mercy? they question in vain. All the while they still hope that they will be liberated.


What I think about Night?

At first I was skeptical, this book didn't really look like it was going to be that good. But surprisingly I found it intriguing, (I do admit that I had to read this for school). I was shocked that I was drawn to a story that was so dark. I am still disgusted by the treatment of the Jews, I didn't know what it was really like. Every other version is "prettied" up but this novel told it like it was and I think that's the best way to tell it. Throughout this novel, I noticed significant changes in the characters. I noticed that people began to question God and with the exessive amount of torture they went through, they quickly became used to it, they no longer flinched as another was whipped for fear of further pain on themselves. It is amazing the way this author captures the fear that filled their hearts but also to hold onto the feeling of hope that these people continued to grasp.


While this book is terrifying in some aspects, I found it intensely gripping and would not want anyone to miss this book.

No comments: