Monday, March 23, 2009

Flying Time?

You know the saying "time flies by, when you're having fun?"

I remember a long time ago, I used to think this saying was really stupid. I always wondered how time could possibly fly. But really it has nothing to do with flying time. Now that I am older, thank goodness for getting smarter as you get older, I know that this saying is very true, just not literally.

In math class, I complain that time is passing too slow. At lunch, I complain that time is passing too fast. All that complaining got me wondering why when things sucked time decided to torture me and when things were fun time sped by. I guess there isn't any way time could decide to ruin my life...But it seems that way some times.

I think I know why now! When I am enjoying myself, at a good movie or relaxing over a long weekend, I don't look at the clock because I am having too much fun to bother. So when I look up at the clock it's an hour or more later, so time seems fast. And when I am depressed or bored, like when I am doing math or when I am at a lame movie, I find my eyes wandering toward the clock, and I think when is class going to be over or how much longer? During these times I am staring at the clock every five minutes, which makes time seem much slower. How obvious this answer seems now but for some reason I never thought of these things before.

In my english class, I am reading Fahrenheit 451. And a main theme in the novel is a society not thinking. So I guess I thought it would be fun to think once in a while, you know, about real (I mean really real) things. Not things like what you ate for breakfast or what show you watched last night, that doesn't have anything to do with anything important, maybe it does to you but not to the whole world or anything.

No comments: